A Professor’s Argument for Same-Sex Marriage
Should same-sex couples be permitted to marry? Are civil unions or domestic partnerships sufficient? What kind of effect does same-sex marriage have on heterosexual marriage? Do the children of same-sex couples face undue challenges because of their parents?
These questions have all been raised in the ongoing debate about gay marriage. Professor Dale Carpenter makes a compelling argument in favor of same-sex marriage from a philosophical, rights-based perspective while presenting data to answer these questions and others.
Marriage imposes obligations and confers rights on a couple. It does this from a legal standpoint, but even more in the sense of social expectations. Every person has a fundamental right to marry, says Prof. Carpenter. And marriage is good for families and for society—whether a couple is straight or homosexual.
1. The 9 million figure comes from an estimate of the UCLA Williams Institute
2. The estimate of at least 1 million children being raised by gay parents is a low-ball estimate from a study by Stacey & Biblarz
3. As for parenting and sexual orientation, same as above
4. The statement about child-welfare organizations comes from Freedom to Marry
5. The evidence about the lack of ill effect in other countries is discussed here
6. The Massachusetts divorce rate claim is supported here
“Learn More” Resources
Prop 8 – The Musical (video): A completely irreverent look at Prop 8…in musical form! Starring Jack Black, John C. Reilly, Maya Rudolph, and Barney Stinson/Doogie Howser, M.D.
YES on Proposition 8 (video): A host of speakers discuss the negative consequences of striking down Prop 8
NO on Prop 8 – A Family Speaks Out (video): The Roselle family from Southern California gives their opinion on proposition 8.
A Marine and His Soon-to-be-Husband on Doma (video): Marine Captain Matthew Phelps will be transferred to Japan this summer. He and his soon-to-be husband Ben Schock talked about how the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) forces the military to treat them differently
Gay Marriage [website]: This website presents the pros, cons, and history of the gay marriage debate, taking a balanced approach to analyze the merits and demerits of gay marriage
GET CONTENT STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX