Home Community General Discussion Forum Recommend Learn Liberty Content!

Recommend Learn Liberty Content!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Ted Ted @ Learn Liberty 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

This thread is to tell us what you like and don’t like about Learn Liberty. What are we doing well? What would you like to see more or less of? Think pie in the sky or very specific. We want to hear from our users the types of content they want to see. It can be a video idea, a feature to add to the site, professors to interview or work with, or anything else you can think of.

Eric
    bosthegreat
    Participant

I think that more in depth classes would be great! Perhaps a class on unintended consequences would be good.

I love the idea of unintended consequences! As for more in depth programs, have you tried our On Demand programs? We have a number of courses you can take on topics from the War on Drugs and libertarian feminism to fantasy football and The Hunger Games. Or are you looking for something even more in depth?

Wyatt
    Gungnir
    Participant

I personally love everything philosophical. This is why I personally enjoyed the “What is ‘Libertarian’? Schools of Thought in Classical Liberalism” program. I would like to see programs which each focus on the views of one individual philosopher. For instance, I could see programs called “Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand”. “In Defense of Liberty: The Philosophy of Robert Nozick”, or “The Foundations of America: The Philosophy of John Locke”. These, I think, would be very enlightening.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Wyatt Gungnir.
      Wyatt
      Gungnir
      Participant

Misclick. Ignore this post.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Wyatt Gungnir.
    Trent
    Aircoryell1980
    Participant

How about taking various bureaucratic bodies (FDA, Education, OSHA, FCC, etc) and debunking their effectiveness- what they report vs. what is true? A series or a program.

I like that idea! We do have a program on busting economic myths but we don’t have anything that looks specifically at different gov agencies.
      Will definitely be pitching that idea at our next pitch meeting!

Trent
      Aircoryell1980
      Participant

Cato.org has something like what I am suggesting, but in super-duper in-depth: http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/

I would like to see something more visual and for the general public. I show a lot of your videos in my classes (high school and college level), and the more direct and simple, the better. Personally, I like the detail, but I think just to get people thinking about it requires a more simplistic approach. Also, when it has less detail, it allows my students to debate, ask questions, research for themselves, etc. Thanks for considering it!

RJ
      RJ_Miller
      Participant

Someone said it before I did! A video series that gets specific about particular agencies would be awesome. The likely head of the FDA (Balaji Srinivasan) has suggested that a more distributed approach to collecting clinical data about drugs would be a step up from what the FDA does now (which is basically delay life-saving drugs). I’d say a series that takes what was discussed in “The Most Dangerous Monopoly” and makes it specific to particular regulatory agencies would be great.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by RJ RJ_Miller.
    Joshua
    Joshua Ammons
    Participant

I would like to see a video with Sandy Ikeda on a Jane Jacobs tour!

Trent
    Aircoryell1980
    Participant

I have another one that has popped up time to time in my mind. It did so recently due to the awesome series by professor Sarah Burns entitled, “America’s Founding”. As Ms Burns progresses in the series (video #6 at the time of this post), she demonstrates the challenges and reasoning behind many things back in 1776+. The most recent video, #6, had me thinking–what about the Articles of Confederation? Why didn’t it work? I know the “textbook” answer (that is readily available all over on the Internet and in our schools), but what is a free market/libertarian/European Liberal view? I honestly wish in my heart of hearts that the Articles of Confederation would have worked. So…can there be a video on this sometime?

Trent
    Aircoryell1980
    Participant

I have another one that I am interested in– my students ask about it a lot too: taxes. Could we do something on the different types of taxes? The history? Why it is “theft”? The unintended consequences? How we could still have things like roads, police, etc without taxes? My students seem to think the world would end without taxes to pay for roads, schools, etc. I always say, “You are making the assumption that only government can build and maintain. Who made the first roads? The first schools? What has the government really “created”?”…and “Who paid for this school? Some old guy who doesn’t have any kids in the district. Is that “fair”?” Great discussion, but some videos would help supplement this– in an organized way:)

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas with us, Aircoryell1980! These are definitely some ideas that we will be considering creating new content around in the future. We thought your suggestion for a piece on the Articles of Confederation was a really interesting one too!

We do have a short video with Dr. Nigel Ashford that touches on some of the things you’ve mentioned above, which might serve as an good introduction to some of these ideas:

Trent
    Aircoryell1980
    Participant

A series on: How to introduce libertarian ideas to high schoolers…without forcing it down their throats. I know you have many videos that I use, but I have to search for them (yes, my time is scarce as a teacher:) and sometimes “forget” I had them on the burner. If you had a “program” on this, then I (and, of course others:) would have a one-click stop. They would have to be more visual/graphs/charts/fun stuff and less simple “lecture”, but I think it would be super-duper awesome. Maybe take that stupid Common Core and apply libertarian economics to it? I’d use it.

I think a series specifically on how to explain libertarianism to non-libertarians is a really interesting idea. It’s definitely something that took me a while to get a hang of. I usually go for the how libertarianism helps make people better route. Does anyone have any other ideas for effective ways to communicate libertarianism?

Dominic
    Sealskie
    Participant

I personally would like to see more content on how to make a difference in this increasingly authoritarian state. I understand that knowledge is power and I don’t take for granted all the informative videos on the site, but I’m not sure where to apply it to make things better (if that’s even possible).

What I mean is, I’m going to be a junior in college. I love liberty, classical liberalism, and the like. But, how can I, just one person, make any kind of difference in changing this entitled, authoritarian culture that we have? That’s why I came to this site in the first place, to gain more knowledge so I can try to make more of a difference. You can only ReTweet and Sharing so many things on social media. I don’t want to be a “clicktivist”. I would like to know more that I can do to get this message of liberty out there and help change the culture so maybe we can start moving back to the ways of liberty and freedom.

Hi Sealskie! I think that’s a great idea! What more specifically are you looking for? Groups that are making a difference that you could join? An explanation of different careers in liberty? Actions that you could take on your own (ex. starting a petition)?

Dominic
      Sealskie
      Participant

Hi Sealskie! I think that’s a great idea! What more specifically are you looking for? Groups that are making a difference that you could join? An explanation of different careers in liberty? Actions that you could take on your own (ex. starting a petition)?

Hello! Hmm, I guess all 3 of them, really. Especially groups to join and careers. I’ve only just joined this site recently, so I’m unaware of everything that’s offered already (probably should’ve become more aware before posting suggestions :p).

I’ve thought that maybe the best ways to try and change the culture would be to join places like FreedomWorks, FreeThePeople (Matt Kibbe), or theblaze (Glenn Beck). But, honestly, I’m at a loss at how to go about it. I was just thinking of having maybe making certain options known to help take the fight for liberty further, it’d be cool to see.

We’ll definitely keep that in mind when planning new videos and blog posts. In the mean time, you should check out our opportunities page. We have listings for student groups you can join, internship and job openings, events, and career guides. Let us know if you find it useful!

Dominic
      Sealskie
      Participant

Oops. Please ignore.

mikefive
    Participant

I’d like to suggest a topic that would dissect gov’t programs and teach someone how to look at it through an economic lens and predict what will happen as a result. For example, the ACA had predictable results. Show a student how to figure that out. Or showing exactly what partisan arguments mean… Like “We need tariffs to save American jobs” is fundamentally creating just one more special interest group and making things worse off for everyone with higher prices. Talking about where we are with Social Security and Medicare and would make sense, even if you have other videos on that subject. The more a young person can put 2 and 2 together and realize the effects of these sweet sounding public policies, the more responsive they’ll be able to be about saying no and the better equipped they’ll be to save their generation from the debt based policies that they’ll be bearing in the years to come.

I would also like to suggest that you use snippets of Tom G. Palmer’s videos, which are prevalent. Super soothing voice!

Thanks mikefive,

Awesome suggestions!

VK
    Participant

Is there an app available for Learn Liberty in the App Store? That might be a good idea. Another idea is offering subtitles in different languages to make it easier for international students understand the content. Thank you for all your work.

Hi Vladyslav_Kruk,

Thanks for sharing these ideas!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.