Home Community General Discussion Forum Learn The Invisible Hand

Learn The Invisible Hand

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Xerographica 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Xerographica
    Participant

Most people believe that the Invisible Hand is primarily about selfishness. Actually, it’s primarily about signals…

It is thus that the private interests and passions of individuals naturally dispose them to turn their stocks towards the employments which in ordinary cases are most advantageous to the society. But if from this natural preference they should turn too much of it towards those employments, the fall of profit in them and the rise of it in all others immediately dispose them to alter this faulty distribution. Without any intervention of law, therefore, the private interests and passions of men naturally lead them to divide and distribute the stock of every society among all the different employments carried on in it as nearly as possible in the proportion which is most agreeable to the interest of the whole society. — Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations

We use our money to communicate how much we value things. Therefore, the Invisible Hand is simply people having the freedom to bring valuable things to each other’s attention.

Unfortunately, people really don’t understand this. So we all suffer from a shortage of the Invisible Hand and a surplus of the Visible Hand. How can we solve this problem?

Donors to the Libertarian Party were recently given the freedom to use their donations to signal which potential convention theme is the most valuable. Here are the top results…

$6,222 – I’m That Libertarian!
    $5,200 – Building Bridges, Not Walls
    $1,620 – Pro-Choice on Everything
    $1,377 – Empowering the Individual
    $395 – The Power of Principle

Donors used their money to bring the most valuable themes to more people’s attention. Thanks to the Invisible Hand we can all see and know the order (relative importance) of the potential themes.

Personally, I think that it would be incredibly informative if donors to LearnLiberty could use their donations to help bring valuable articles and videos to more people’s attention. The Invisible Hand would determine the order (relative importance) of educational material. We’d all see and know which article/video was the most valuable. This would open people’s eyes and help them see and understand the point of the Invisible Hand.

It’s easy for the liberty movement to win. All it has to do is use its most powerful weapon.

I just shared this idea with the New Yorker. But I’m guessing that you folks will be far more likely to quickly grasp the true value of this idea.

Here’s how I’ve broken it down

And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Invisible Hand, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the Invisible Hand which determines the order (relative importance) of clothes, computers and cars, or the Visible Hand which has determined the order (relative importance) of the drug war, the terror war and the poverty war, or the Democratic Hand which has determined the order (relative importance) of Gary Johnson, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump: but as for me… I will serve the Invisible Hand. I will serve and protect and fight for people’s freedom to use their own money to signal the importance of things.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.